Thursday, 13 February 2014

Second And Third Day Of The Project

Hello everyone :)
As promised I am posting the process of my new project. So sorry I didn't write anything more yesterday, but I was not feeling all too well. So today, you will get the second and third day's process.

Last time I had cut the wire in pieces and cleaned it. Since this will be a different tree, I decided to cut even more pieces to make it fuller. That deemed it impossible to twist it all by hand. Allan helped me a lot to find the perfect solution!
Even though this made things easier, still it was very hard for me to twist it. At the end I left Allan to twist it for me. He is so very helpful and supportive.



 Afterwards, the pieces of wire look like this. And it is time for me to shape the branches. As you can see, the pieces are not all equal. This was on purpose for a more natural look.



I shaped the branches, by twisting with my hands only. It was much easier than shaping the trunk. Then as you can see, I pulled the individual branches apart. I envisioned a tree on early spring. That means buds of leaves and the way to do it is hammering. I hammered every individual branch. I did not take a photo of that since it was very difficult doing it on my own, but you will see on the next photo how it looks like.




After hammering it was time to paint all branches in a deep green color. I still have them apart at this stage. Here you can see the finished work of hammering and painting.




And here you can see a close up of the branches. For now I will leave them to dry and continue tomorrow.







That's it for today :) It is time for me to enjoy a cup of warm coffee and gaze at the falling snow outside. Till next time, take care dear tree friends and have a lovely day.

Tuesday, 11 February 2014

New Project Coming On!

As you all know some days ago, my husband has brought me some wire he found. I decided to recycle it and use it for my art. I made a large tree in 2 dimensions as I showed you on my previous post. I did not know exactly what to do with it, but Emma gave me the idea of putting something to hang from the hole and have it as a mobile (many thanks Emma xx ).

The first one I made, as you can see, has swirly branches. I love its shape and I will be keeping this for me. I did the small mistake of not cleaning the wire before I twisted it, but that is fine because it did create some very interesting shades when I cleaned it afterwards. Now, I have it by the window to dry and when that happens I will be finishing it. I will probably hang it on my door, or perhaps on the porch somewhere.

For the next tree I ll be making, I have in mind a different style. I will be going through the process with all of you from here. I am very excited about this.

Let us begin then!!





For starters I have to cut the wire. Remember, this wire is rather thick so I have to use another kind of cutters than my normal small ones. I m not sure how these are called, but you get the idea from the photo. I want the tree to be big so I cut them around 60cm if not more. I don't measure accurately, I want the branches to be asymmetric.



It is a bit of a long process. The wire has a will of its own sometimes and it can lash around. That is why every time I do this I end up with many small cuts on my hands that slowly reveal themselves when I do the dishes :P
After some time, I got my pieces and I bend them like this.
 And for the last step of the day, I use a container where I soak the wire in with warm water and baking soda. From time to time I brush them gently with a toothbrush. In general I just let them have a luxury soak for some hours.
That is the process of today. I am going to take some photos and continue tomorrow.
Stay tuned dear friends xx